Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Tonin'

Tomorrow we discuss tone in my developmental reading class. Voice, authorial choice, purpose and audience also figure in to the mix. So how to teach it without losing my voice while I imitate different tones (and pitches)?

How about reading Peter Rabbit (the unabridged version, no less)in small groups, and ask each group to identify and discuss voice, choice and so on?

But that's too easy. And how many of your students will be engaged in a discussion of a pastel bunny?



Okay, it may be a stretch, but it ain't over yet. Let's move to step 2: listen to Lambert, Hendricks and Ross singing "Cottontail." We'll read the lyrics and do some C/C about the differences, of which there are many.

And we all know how much you love C/C, Prof H.





Yeah, I know. I just don't like looking at the "similarities and differences of two things that are essentially the same--something everybody throughout history has pondered before realizing how much better we all are for having learned this valuable lesson in life."

Not tracking with that.

I'm saying that I don't like easy answers and pat comparisons (even of bunnies). So we'll round out the hour with another tune, "The Book Report," from "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown," in which a carnival (or team) of discordant voices engage in the metacognitive and meta-emotional dynamics of writing a book report on Peter Rabbit, which, to quote Lucy Van Pelt, is "a stupid book about a stupid rabbit who steals vegetables from other people's gardens." It won a Tony.

2 Comments:

At 11:27 PM, Blogger macncheese said...

Okay, you're my new hero--what a cool way to discuss all those topics! Can I copy? You've got me thinking.

 
At 12:02 AM, Anonymous joanna said...

Happy to be your hero. Please copy and let me know how it goes. So far, we've read PR and listened to "Cottontail" but had no time to discuss them in any profound way. Nor have we gotten to "Book Report." I'll try to write about it all next week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home