Sunday, March 13, 2005

Sunday Blog

There's much to write about and really no time to write if I am going to make my plane to SF. Jocalo has posted the NPR link on his site, so do go there and listen to his views on the new SAT. Clancy has been posting covers of girls' books from the 70's and 80's, and it brings up all kinds of great associations among her readers. Our new blog-siblings, Composition Mountain West and Composition Southeast both discuss the ramification of regionalization oon texts and teaching, particularly when the teacher is not from the same region as the student. Lots of good thoughts there. And John Goldfine writes about his plans for a new lit course: Dogs in Literature.

My BW students are waking up to words, flexing their brains and thinking about what goes on when we write.
The portfolio-keeping is going along less confusedly than last semester, largely because I am requiring that my students keep everything in a 1" ring binder with multiple divisions that we call "the portfolio." While they haven't been taking things out to revise on their own, they are in the habit of putting things in the right place and knowing where to find things, making them more independent of me. The time that we would have spent doing midterm portfolios is being eaten up by my trip, so I plan on doing individual conferences during the week after we return from break.
And grammar? Having tried the in-your-face style of grammar instruction last semester, I've gone in the other direction, and frankly, I like it. We have been looking at words in terms of stylistic and rhetorical choices first, and are now beginning to look at grammar as a way of figuring out what those words do to each other in the sentence. (When I say grammar, I don't mean a comprehensive review, but more of an overview with an emphasis on punctuation.)

I've two sets of papers to grade, but I think I can safely say that my students are calming down about writing and getting into the college swing of things.

Have a good week--I'm going to try to blog from the conference--we'll see how it goes.

Joanna

4 Comments:

At 3:33 PM, Blogger timna said...

Enjoy the conference. This year is the first time I really wish I was attending -- and that's primarily because of the blogs.

waving from the side!

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger clc said...

Most years, I could not have cared less about going to CCCC or any other national conference, to be honest, but this year it is killing me not to go. And yes, it's because of the blog friendships I've made. Sure, I'd love to see San Francisco, too, but it could be in Nashville (which, no offense anyone, I'm convinced is the armpit of the US after going to CCCC there), and I'd still want to go. I mean, almost EVERYONE is going!

I'm really not feeling like one of the cool kids. Sniff sniff :-(

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger sharon said...

I'll try to find ya'll at the conference. I'll be in another session at the same time as your blogging session.....

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll miss seeing you, Timna and Cindy--you are both part of the "cool" crowd! Isn't interesting that blogging brings about this desire (right word?) to meet up at the conference? I'm typing here in SF and have a spent breakfast talking with a woman who is presenting at the 4C's as well. Another guest, a comp sci person helped me get this mac up and running.

Later, J

 

Post a Comment

<< Home