Thursday, March 24, 2005

Oral History Project

Stop whatever you're doing and go see Sharon's idea for an oral history project of retired two-year college educators in her state. I'm especially excited about it because one of the observations that jocalo has made about the 4 C's is that because of so many teachers retiring these days, there needs to be a way to collect their wisdom and experience;

That many two-year colleges face a challenge as a lot of senior faculty retire, taking decades of accumulated teaching wisdom with them. I suggested at the Preparing Future Faculty session that departments should develop mentoring plans that help retiring and retired faculty pass on ideas and insights to recently hired faculty.


While the two foci aren't identical, both encourage us to take advantage of the terrific resources we have in our senior faculty, who, having seen and heard it all, can help new faculty cut through the confusion that being new to a profession and institution brings.

1 Comments:

At 11:17 PM, Blogger Sharon Gerald said...

Thanks for pointing me back to Jocalo's post. I read that but forgot where I read it. I think it may have been one of the three or four ideas in the back of my head that all stumbled across each other and made oral histories suddenly the thing I just had to do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home