Sunday, January 23, 2005

When is a Door Not a Door? When it's a Blog.

This is the informal title of my 4C's presentation--which really has to do with using blogging as a professional development tool. But my working title really does spell out the number -one attraction that blogs have for me, and that is their asynchronicity and online(-icity?). Right now it's nearly 5 in the morning (a cold, cold, cold morning) and I am sitting here, plugging away--having visited all of the blogs on the blogroll and a few others.
I don't have to depend on you to be in your office and willing to talk with me--or, in this case, listen.
And of course, the you's I'm writing to, youse guys, are in offices all over the map, and it's pretty unlikely that I will ever pop my head in your door.

Which leads me to another attraction of blogging for this professional--I've been able to talk to other academics that I might never have met or known about had I not blogged. My professional perspective has certainly widened as a result of blogging.

Over the course of the next month, I'll work on my presentation here. Makes sense.

5 Comments:

At 3:02 PM, Blogger clc said...

5 am? Ouch! It is so cold here at 3:00 in the afternoon, and it's not like you are that far from me, so again, Ouch!

I agree that the real wonder of blogging has been the ability to "know" other academics from around the country. Blogging has enabled this in ways that other Internet tools haven't, in my experience. I"ve been on many listervs in the past, and while they have their benefits, it just isn't the same.

I think it will be really cool for you to sort of build your presentation here. I'm not going to San Francisco (:-(), but I'm really excited to see what you all are doing. Yet another way blogs are great for sharing, professional development, etc.

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger sharon said...

I agree, I agree, I agree. I know my schedule can be nuts. There are times when I can barely keep ahead of the daily tasks. Nobody is irritated if I'm not online at a particular time, or if I can only "lurk" for a week or so when we're working in a blog. Yet, I can usually find a little time to check in every couple of days.....usually :-)

As for your Cs presentation - I would love to see you develop it here. I am keenly interested in what you will have to share. Blogging is pretty new to me, so I'm fascinated to hear from those of you who have been doing this longer.

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Rosa G. said...

One of the advantages of blogging (quick! write this down!) is that unlike a mail list, you can scroll back and forth to different postings at your leisure, whereas maillists tend to be very much "of the moment."

I'm also blogging my (and a colleague's, so it's really "our") other blog presentation, which is about how to construct a blog. Once we have presented it, we'll go public. Or, once I figure out Typepad.

It's good to hear from you Sharon. I thought we'd lost you!

 
At 1:06 AM, Blogger Katherine said...

I look forward to see your presentation evolve here. What I find particularly interesting about blogs is that no matter when something was post, it seems "new" when I come across it. It's a kind of on-going conversation that doesn't really stop when someone new enters or someone else leaves--it's always there and you can pick up right where you left off.

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger jocalo said...

Great comments about blogging among colleagues. "Rosa" is my fellow presenter on this C's panel, so I'm most interested in watching her presentation emerge here.

We wrote our proposal in early May, 2004. Because this whole process has been so dynamic, much has developed, including CCE, so the ongoing conversation among two-year college comp bloggers will inform our session on "The New Collegiality". We hope everyone who does get to San Francisco will check in on our session, scheduled for Thursday, March 17, at 12:30 p.m.

We also need to do a bit of coordinating, so that we don't steal one another's thunder, a possibility because we've been reading each other for nearly a year now. As both Rosa and clc have noted, these conversations could not have occurred in any other existing enivronment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home