Saturday, January 22, 2005

On Wednesday

On Wednesday I went to a poetry reading given by my colleague, Kay Bosgraaf. She took a sabbatical a year ago and spent it writing and revising poems that became part of her book currently being published. (I've currently forgotten its title, but I promise that I'll have it, and a sample poem, soon).

Dr. Bosgraaf's poetry is autobiographical and her best poems that afternoon were her pantoums. I don't think I've ever heard someone use the pantoum as effectively or resonantly as she does. Don't get me started on her imagery--I can still see her great-grandfather in his chair, "rocking all the way back to the Netherlands."

Our college, through the Center for Teaching and Learning and through the Writing and Reading Center, does a good job of presenting the writers among our faculty, and I wish that I could do just as good a job as an audience. If I could, I'd go to every reading.

I mention all of this because I've been thinking about the ways our college does or should highlight/affirm the research and scholarship of the faculty. Two-Year Teacher-Scholar has motivated me to give it all a more critical look than I have in the past.

How am I being supported this year? Well, I'm being funded to attend the 4C's, for one. There is no way that I could go if I had to pay for it myself.

I'm using the $2,000 educational assistance fund money that we each get to fund:

1. Attending an online conference on using blogs in education
2. Pay for an online poetry course through webdelsol.com
3. Pay conferences fees for the 4C's, The Mid-Atlantic Women's Studies Conference, and a Skip Downing On Course workshop.

Like I said, there is no way that I could go to any of this if I had to pay for it myself. All of these activities add depth to my teaching as well as refresh my brain and remind me of why I love teaching in the first place.

3 Comments:

At 3:59 PM, Blogger clc said...

Hey you! When are you and John and Styles going to toot your own horns here about 4Cs?!

Congrats, you guys!

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Rosa G. said...

Thanks! Here goes: toot. ; )

Joanna

 
At 1:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finding college football scholarship information is a difficult process. Thanks for helping others find more information about college football scholarship.

Davecollege football scholarship

 

Post a Comment

<< Home