Sunday, January 30, 2005

The Collage Activity for Week 1, and a few words about Emails

The second activity that we do is the collage--a means of representing in a nonverbal way, one's interests and personality. It's intentionally very different from the business card activity, both in purpose and in format. With no help from me except for an assignment sheet, the students create their collages for Friday's class.
In class, I blend this activity with learning how to get into MS Word as well as how to save files. This step is becoming almost unnecessary, but there are still enough students who need to learn how to operate a computer that it is worth doing.

So, we open a new file in MS Word and the first round of writing is to describe what the objects on their collages represent. What does each color, object, photograph tell the viewer about the creator? During this time, I walk around the room and make sure that each student has been able to open a file and get started.

At the end of fifteen minutes, I stop them, and ask them to give me their collages. There are two long tables up front, and I place all of the collages on there. I invite the class up to the front of the room to pick another collage to write about, specifying that they not choose a person whose collage they've already seen or talked about.

We spend another fifteen minutes writing, this time, analyzing the new collage. What does this collage say about the person who created it? This time, they have to imagine and guess at the answer.

When time's up, we go around the room, each student talking about what they've guessed about their collage artist. I hold the collage in question and walk around so that everyone can see it. When the speaker is finished, I ask the artist how close the speaker was to interpreting her (or him). My emphasis is less on correctness but on the act of interpretation.

In both sections, we ran out of time before we could finish.

But not before I could give them the next assignment, "Send Me An Email."

What I like about this particular activity is that once again, names and faces are reinforced; students are asked to take something created in one medium and translate it into another; and they are asked to stand up and talk to each other(good practice for project reports and a good antidote for fidgeting).

Right now, I'm reading and responding to the emails. By the deadline, half of them had come in,each describing their student self. I respond to each of them with a two- to three- line message that lets them know that I've paid attention to what they've said, and in some cases, I've posed a question to them.

The first obvious benefit is that the class gets to email me, thus breaking the ice for using that communication tool. Secondly, they are having to draft another kind of communication: not a paragraph, not a business card, not a collage, but an email, which has specific conventions to follow. Finally, they are, for the third time this week, having to reflect on some aspect of themselves, and bring it to the fore.

So far the emails have been fine. The only quibble I have is that students sometimes forget to sign them, so I'm left trying to figure out who Snugglypoo876 or BadBrunette are.

16 Comments:

At 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great information on your site folks. I also am working on a card citibank credit prepaid site. I'll bookmark yours if you bookmark mine. You can find it at card citibank credit prepaid.
Again, nice site folks...I'll be baak...:)

 
At 2:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finding online college scholarship information is a difficult process. Thanks for helping others find more information about online college scholarship.

Daveonline college scholarship

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger nope said...

Hi,

I'm sorry for being intrusive in to your blog. But I am Melissa and I am a mother of two that is just trying to get out of an incredible financial debt. See my hubby is away in Iraq trying to protect this great country that we live in, and I am at home with our two kids telling bill collectors please be patiant. When my husband returns from war we will beable to catch up on our payments. We have already had are 2001 Ford repossessed from the bank, and are now down to a 83 buick that is rusted from front to back and the heater don't work, and tire tax is due in November.

I'm not asking for your pitty because we got our ownselfs into this mess but we would love you and thank you in our prayers if you would just keep this link on your blog for others to view.

God Bless You.

Melissa K. W.
To see my family view this page. My Family


Full Software Download - Get full access to thousands of applications!

Restore, Fix & Clean Up Your Registry Files and Errors in Windows. Does your PC crash, is your system running slow or are you receiving regular error messages? This program will scan your system registry and hard drive for invalid file and system references for free. These invalid references cause system instability, PC errors, constant crashes, and general system slowdowns.

XoftSpy - The Latest in Anti-Spyware & Adware Technology

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger emily said...

Your blog is great! It's hard to find blogs with good content and people talking about Business Card these days! I have a secret Business Card Exposed if you want to come check it out

 
At 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Help me Dude, I'm lost.

I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw Elvis in the supermarket yesterday.

No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender".

He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a shiny, new plasmatv to go with that blue suede sofa of yours.

But Elvis said I, In the Ghetto nobody has a plasma tv .

Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger then I'm gonna go home and ask Michael Jackson to come round and watch that waaaay cool surfing scene in Apocalypse Now on my new plasma tv .

And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . .

"You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on "

Strange day or what? :-)

 
At 6:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now you could find Classes for a multitude of subjects on your area , like class computer dc find in washington and they could be found by visiting class computer dc find in washington

 
At 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool blog you got! I just added you to my bookmarks!

I have a great article resource you might want to check out.

 
At 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool blog you got! I just added you to my bookmarks!

I have a great article resource you might want to check out.

 
At 12:55 AM, Blogger Greg said...

This blog is great! If you get a chance you may want to visit this link popularity building
site, it's

pretty awesome, too!

 
At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful thank you which was consulted very much

But in blog of my site, when that has been written about information business should drop in freely.

mystery shopping business

 
At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey nice info you posted.
I just browsing through some blogs and came across yours!

Excellent blog, good to see someone actually uses em for quality posts.

Your site kept me on for a few minutes unlike the rest :)

Keep up the good work!

Thanks!.

 
At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey nice info you posted.
I just browsing through some blogs and came across yours!

Excellent blog, good to see someone actually uses em for quality posts.

Your site kept me on for a few minutes unlike the rest :)

Keep up the good work!

Thanks!.

 
At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful thank you which was consulted very much

But in blog of my site, when that has been written about information business should drop in freely.

business degree online

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger instant41 said...

Excellent blog on small business finance. Why not visit my small business finance article site at small business finance

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger info99 said...

An interesting business law blog. I have a large business law article website at business law Perhaps you may get time to visit it.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Greg said...

Hi,

you really have a very nice blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a site dealing with secret benefit
. You are heartly invited to take some really good tips from it.



Come and check it out if you get time :-)

TheSEO-Rank.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home