Thursday, November 18, 2004

Give Thanks, and Then, Give The BIll of Rights

For Thanksgiving this year, well, before Thanksgiving, I'm giving each of my students a copy of the Bill of Rights, downloaded and printed from the National Archives site. I wish that I'd thought of it sooner and could create some assignments based on it, but for now, I'll be content with handing out copies to them. Next semester, I might begin a thread in my reading class with the Bill of Rights--take time to read and discuss it, and then ask the students to bring in examples of rights being abused or protected over the course of the semester. Maybe I'll focus on the First Ammendment in particular.



5 Comments:

At 2:39 PM, Blogger Katherine said...

What a wonderful idea--may I steal part of it? I'm teaching a rhetoric course next semester and one of the assignments in the sequence I'm using is to determine what values unlie arguments being made about issues. The last time I taught this assignment, I struggled and struggled to get students to understand the concept of values, and then struggled and struggled to help them to see how values structure arguments. I'm thinking that using the Bill of Rights to both get at the concept of values and to discuss what values structure each of the admendments in the Bill of Rights.

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Styles said...

Here's a good first-amendment comp assignment: ask your students to persuade their local public library to cast it in bronze, display it prominently, and invite all patrons to read. An old Carnegie library around here has done just that, and so far, no one has objected.

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Rosa G. said...

Katharine,

Yes, do go ahead and "steal." And good luck with the assignment. I'm sure I'll be posting my experiences here, and I wonder if you'd be willing to chime in with how things are going with your assignment.

Styles--now that's an idea. Yup. Yup. Yup. MMMMM. Vigorous nodding of head. I'm definitely going to see about that. Thanks.

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Katherine said...

Rosa, I'd be happy to post about my experiences with this assignment. It's part of a sequence I teach my public issues course: conjectures, values, proposal or problem, cause, solution. Once I get them beyond binary thinking--right/wrong, good/bad, pro/con--in the conjectures assignment, they have the most trouble with the values assignment. So, I'm hoping working with the values that structure the Bill of RIghts might help. I'll let you know.

 
At 1:44 AM, Blogger jocalo said...

THANKS!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home