Thursday, November 04, 2004

Border Talking

In rereading the first few chapters of Tinberg's book, I'm taken with this idea of "articulating disciplinary ways of knowing" (xiii). As the instructors participate in a writing workshop, they discuss and argue over what various terms mean, coming to a realization that a term like "argument" can be perceived differently depending on one's discipline. I want to know more. When a student comes to be tutored in the Writing Center, and she brings a writing assignment from another part of the curriculum, I want to be able to view her work from that area's perspective and not from my "English" one. Not that there isn't any common ground among disciplines or that "English" means only one kind of writing, but I am very curious to see where things diverge, where arguments erupt when two sides don't realize that they have two different definitions for the same term. If WAC is to ever be successful, time has to be spent locating the hot spots, if only to acknowledge that they exist and that each discipline has the right to determine how its voice will be expressed.


3 Comments:

At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm working with a group that's putting together the second edition of a composition reader/rhetoric, and we're running right into that whole question of disciplinarity. Some of the editors want this to be a very Englishy textbook, with lots of Literary essays; others -- including me -- are pushing a perspective that understands the book as serving a larger audience and purpose, and asking that we include essays from other disciplines (e.g., a quantitative 'hard' research essay in economics that looks at how USAID constructs representations of need in foreign countries, which -- if you think about it -- is kind of a rhetorical analysis). So yes, I share the opinion that it's important to have that ability to see things from perspectives of other disciplines.

Mike
http://www.vitia.org/

 
At 6:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you on using work from other disciplines---would be interested in seeing what you all come up with. Keep me, uh, posted. Joanna

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger jon said...

chicago textbook are so expensive. I agree, We have been looking for chicago textbook all night for a new chicago textbook class but havent been able to track down used chicago textbook that I can afford. Anyway, I enjoyed looking at you chicago textbook blog...

jon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home